Benjamin Prins (born in Lisieux, France 1982) has been directing internationally renown operas since 2012.
Among his latest productions:
- DIE GLÜCKLICHE HAND by Schönberg & GIANNI SCHICCHI by Puccini, Würzburg Opera House (2021)
- FANTASIO by Offenbach. Opera Zuid, Cologne Philharmonie, Hague Opera House. (2019)
- VOUS QUI SAVEZ CE QU’EST L’AMOUR, by Romie Estèves after Mozart, Théâtre de l’Athénée (2019)
- WERTHER by Gounod. National Opera Brunswick (2017)
- DIE LUSTIGEN WEIBER VON WINDSOR by Nicolai. Dessau Opera House (2017)
- COSÍ FAN TUTTE by Mozart. Erfurt Opera House (2016)
- A KÉKSZAKÁLLÚ HERCEG VÁRA by Bartók. Dessau Opera House (2016)
- FAUST by Gounod. Erfurt Opera House (2015)
- THE BEGGAR’S OPERA by Britten. National Opera Montpellier (2013)
« Where genius abunds, grace abunds even more »
Laurent Bury, 04.06.2019 in Forum Opera
After completing a Bachelor’s degree in Law-Political Science and a Masters in Linguistics at the University of Montpellier, he chose to enhance his knowledge of the German language, culture, and musical and theatrical canon and was accepted to the prestigious Austrian University of Music and Performing Arts of Vienna. He graduated with honors with a major in Musical Theater Direction (Prof. Reto Nickler).
From 2005-2012, Prins worked alongside some of Europe’s most acclaimed masters of opera and theater as an assistant director in over sixty productions, in France and abroad, among them:
- Olivier Py. HAMLET at the Theater an der Wien, LA FORZA DEL DESTINO at the Cologne Opera and IL TROVATORE at the Munich Opera Festival
- Johannes Weigand. STIFFELIO at the Fenice of Venice
- Andrei Serban. MANON at the Vienna State Opera
- David Pountney. DER KUHHANDEL at the Volksoper Vienna
- Waut Koeken. LA VIE PARISIENNE at the Opéra National du Rhin in Strasbourg
- Guy Montavon. LA FILLE DU RÉGIMENT at the Shanghai Opera
« A breathtaking journey into the darkness of Bluebeard’s soul, directed by young Frenchman Benjamin Prins…
a luminosity of musical pathos with dark opulence… »
Joachim Lange, 01.05.2016, Mitteldeutsche Zeitung
After a residency at the Cité internationale des arts, he is currently living in Paris where he is writing and elaborating his future productions, while training to become a techer of the Alexander Technique ® at the Training Center of Agnès de Brunhoff in Paris.
His interest in academics also leads him to regularly give masterclasses in the performing arts, and to conduct pedagogical productions together with Opera Fuoco (David Stern), with Luxembourg Philharmonie (Stefan Gehmacher/Pascal Sticklies) and Le Parlement de Musique (Martin Gester).
He is fluent in French, English, German and Italian.
He has been designated Operndirektor at Theater Nordhausen starting Season 2022-2023.